1. Learn to squat safely before you lift the weight.
2. Try to work on flexibility before you attempt the move.
3. A bent bar is easier to hold in position, so if you have one in your gym use that one.
4. Place the bar on the squat rack when lifting, as it will be much safer.
5. Hold the bar properly with your shoulder blades pushed together.
6. Rest the bar on top of your tensed shoulder blades. Hold the bar with the whole of your hands not just the fingers.
7. Make sure your hands are the same distance apart from the centre of the bar.
8. Place your feet apart slightly wider than your hips. You may need to adjust later to a wider, more comfortable position.